Saturday, October 15, 2011
The Ma’la Cemetery in Makkah
The Ma’la Cemetery is the main cemetery of Makkah and consists of two sections with a road between them, and a tunnel connecting the two parts. The Mother of the Believers, Khadija (may Allah be pleased with her) is buried here. All the companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) who died during the Makkan period (before the “hijrah”) as well as numerous scholars are buried here. There are many hadith about the merit of those who are buried here. The cemetery is still in use to this day.
Famous historical figures buried here include:
· Abd Manaf - Great, great-grandfather of Muhammad
· Grave of Hashim - Great-grandfather of Muhammad
· Grave of Abdul Mutallib - Grandfather of Muhammad
· Grave of Aamina - Mother of Muhammad, though some sources state that Aamina was buried in Abwa, where the Seventh Twelver Shī`a Imām, Musa al-Kadhim was born.
· Grave of Abu Talib: Uncle of Muhammad and father of the First Shī`a Imām, Ali
· Grave of Khadija: First wife of Muhammad and mother of Fatimah
· Qasim: son of Muhammad who died in his infancy
site of Ma'ala cemetery from Googlemaps
an old photo of Ma'ala cemetary before it was demolished.